My friend Mirey makes some delish Latino food. This is based off of her dad's recipe.
Here's what you need:
- 3 tilapia filets
- 2 pounds cooked shrimp, tails off
- a handful of cilantro
- half of a red onion
- 1 habanero pepper (I have these in my garden; but you could use any hot pepper)
- 6 limes
- 1 tablespoon of salt
Here's what you do:
1. Slice the red onion very thin.
2. Put the onion in a bowl and cover with water. Then add the salt. Let sit for 2-3 minutes. This is to make the onion not as strong, so taste it as you wait. Then pour out the water.
3. Chop up the filets and mix them with the onion. Then squeeze the limes over the filets and mix.
4. Chop the cilantro and pepper while the fish is marinating in the lime and onion.
5. Wait for the fish to no longer be raw. You will know by the color change.
6. Mix in the cilantro, pepper and shrimp.
Obviously, we hated it.